Friday, December 5, 2014

SHABBAT SHALOM - NO POTLUCK FOR ME TONIGHT

It's potluck at temple tonight.  Always delicious, but I'll be eating ahead of time for this Shabbat on Food Stamp Challenge.

Last night was Italian Turkey Sausage.  Three pieces.  That leaves three for another night - Sunday probably. Had a big chunk of cabbage sautéed, too.  With toast.  It was filling and just right.

Today had to run out early without breakfast - took bag of cereal in the car.  Not so great, followed by can of tuna between two pieces of bread for lunch. Got my protein and carbs. Tonight - steamed broccoli, more pasta, sauce and some cheese on top.

The good news is I bought two bananas and an apple and a plain yogurt today.  Total price: $1.35. The store brand yogurt was 50 cents.  Bad news, I forgot to use my discount card so the bananas were 59 cents a pound instead of 49. Wasted 10 cents.

I still have a leftover batch of rice and beans in the fridge - but just can't face eating them again unless I have to.  Between the uneaten eggs, sausage, cheese, rice, pasta and can of green beans - hopefully won't have to.  If the stomach grumbles, I'll do it.  Refried perhaps with tomato sauce on top!

When I read those stories of how Jewish families would save up all week to have fish or chicken on Shabbat, I now really get how it was such a treat.

Shabbat Shalom to all, especially those out in the cold and rain on the streets of Jersey City tonight without a stove to warm up the few cans of food in their backpacks.  (Gave out a few cans to a needy person who came by the temple today - homeless obviously as he asked for items with pop tops. Gave him three cans of hearty soups.  I think I have the better dinner tonight.)




No comments:

Post a Comment