Wednesday, December 3, 2014

CABBAGE, EGGS, ALMOST AT MY BUDGET LIMIT

I brought back a beautiful two pound cabbage from Massachusetts over Thanksgiving weekend and did not have time to cook and eat it before starting the Food Stamp Challenge on Monday. So, went to store today to see what it costs locally - and guess what? Cabbage was on sale! 2 lb. for 99 cents. Instead of the regular $1.98 per pound.  Of course, my cabbage from my friend's farm is probably healthier - but anyway, I am charging myself 99 cents against my budget.

Decided I should pick up some eggs. Only half dozen - more expensive per egg that way, but can't afford the full dozen. If I did this for two weeks, could save a bit buying in normal sizes. Also needed something green - and there were broccoli crowns and canned green beans on sale. Wanted two cans of the green beans but getting close to the budget.  Added an onion, another box of pasta on sale for only 88 cents this time, and one more "on sale" cheese. This time shredded mozzarella. Going to make a pasta baked dish tomorrow to last a few meals.  Picked up two more bananas still on sale - but thought better of it and put them back.  I'm up to $26.76.  Better to set aside the last $2 for final days in case I run out of milk or something I bought gets spoiled.

Just had lunch - leftover rice and beans with a few bits of cheddar cheese melted in. Not bad. I might add rice and beans to my normal weekly meal rotation - but with some green pepper and other goodies I can't afford this week.

Being on this food stamp challenge not only raises awareness about cost of food and the inflated prices of brand names, it makes me more aware of all the little ways I spend money throughout the day.  From Dunkin Donuts decaf a few mornings a week (not this week), to the PATH fare to get in to New York today to hear our student cantor's recital. (Yes, it was awesome!)  Then taking the PATH back to city tonight.  That's about $10 on PATH today - 1/3 of my week's food budget.  Something to be said for living within walking distance of one's work, supermarket, etc.




No comments:

Post a Comment