Sunday, November 30, 2014

SECOND TIME

Tomorrow I start my second time around on the Food Stamp Challenge.  First time was two years ago. Not much has changed: there are still too many hungry people in the U.S.   Especially children.

One change: the weekly food stamp allowance for an adult has dropped to $29.40.  I'll miss that extra couple of dollars, but for those who live on this all year round it's a much bigger hit. Yes, food stamps are meant to be supplemental but too many live on the much. Then they run out of food around the middle of the month. That's why many food pantries are only open the last two weeks of a month.

Why do some of us who have plenty to eat do this challenge? To remind ourselves of those in need, to experience a taste of the difficulties of eating this way, and to motivate ourselves to advocate more forcefully for a better SNAP/Food Stamp policy in the United States.

You are welcome to take the challenge too.  Feed yourself for 7 full days on $29.40 per person. No free food. No snacks that are offered to you at a meeting or work. No free coffee. No getting extras from a local food pantry.

In preparation I bought my first batch of food for the week. Here's the receipts.  I spent 20.19.

I have two cans tuna, pound pasta, loaf bread, quart milk, some turkey sausages, dry black beans, rice, cheese, peanut butter, 2 bananas, carrots, jar of pasta sauce and a box of cereal.  Later in week I'll make some chicken if I find some on sale. Probably will add an onion and the cheapest frozen green veggie I can find unless a fresh green veggie is way on sale.

The good thing is I have a fridge to store leftovers and a stove to cook on. Not like my homeless friends.

If you aren't sure about doing this for a whole week, try just a day at $4.20.  For three meals plus snacks. And let me know how that goes. You can write in the comment section.

Learn more by going to this website.





No comments:

Post a Comment